Senior Applications Engineer – Electrical Engineering
ABOUT VERDEGO AERO, INC.
VerdeGo Aero is an aircraft propulsion technology company committed to powering the highest performance electric aircraft of all sizes. The VerdeGo team is passionate about enabling hybrid-electric powerplants to create a next generation of flying machines. This is not an incremental change but rather the 3rd major revolution of aircraft propulsion in the 120-year history of powered flight, disrupting the industry in ways not seen since the advent of the jet engine 75 years ago. Innovations in propulsion always lead to step changes in aircraft design. Aircraft and missions that were previously only seen in Sci-Fi fiction like flying taxis and airliners that take off vertically are becoming a reality through environmentally friendly high performance hybrid systems. VerdeGo’s hardware centric, reality bound philosophy has already delivered flight ready systems for R&D flight test applications. VerdeGo is one of the few companies in this technology space that has both product-based customer revenue and strategic investment. VerdeGo Aero’s headquarters is at the “World’s Most Famous Beach”, in warm and relaxed Daytona Beach, Florida. Daytona Beach is the home of the Daytona 500 NASCAR race, bike weeks, jeep week and the collegial environment of the largest university focusing on aviation and aerospace, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.
VerdeGo is seeking a Senior-level technical expert in electrical and electronic systems as applied to hybrid-electric power generation and related systems for aviation. The successful candidate will demonstrate significant experience with operational hardware across multiple and varied projects in aviation, automotive, or other industries characterized by high quality standards, focus on efficiency, and innovative technology.
The successful candidate must have experience with high voltage DC components, circuits, and systems. VerdeGo systems operate between 400 and 800 VDC. Candidate must have experience with safe design and connections, dynamics of HV DC systems, and hardware level best practices for product assembly, validation, operation, and maintenance. High voltage AC is also important as it relates to brushless motors developed with partners, but VerdeGo system bus architectures are typically DC. Must have experience with high-power (up to 100 – 300 kW, 300 – 500A) switched devices such as inverters and motor controllers.
A key feature of every VerdeGo power generation system is a high-power inverter, and the successful candidate should have experience with different inverter architectures including SiC, issues relating to EMI and noise with high-frequency inverters, and other specifics related to hardware application.
- Design, develop, test, and validate Electrical and Electronics systems including Power systems with a focus on optimizing for efficiency and weight
- Develop controls hardware and software to efficiently manage the engine, generator, inverter, and/or power distribution components for HV DC systems with significant transient loads
- Communications systems at VerdeGo Aero will include CANbus, RS-232, RS-422, Arinc, and other protocols. Successful candidate must demonstrate clear understanding of application of these protocols, including physical execution such as proper grounding and shielding, programming, and system troubleshooting
- Create drawings, work with existing drawings, and suggest improvements to drawing documentation for outside manufacture of custom LV and HV wiring and control hardware.
- Engineer functional systems including the development of customized components as well as the selection of off-the-shelf components
- Select appropriate sensors and other test equipment, perform hands-on testing to validate system performance
- Interact with VerdeGo customers to understand project requirements, provide regular updates, and collaborate with external project inputs
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the state of the art in lightweight, high-efficiency power systems
- Some familiarity with Li-Ion battery pack layout, connection, and cooling is a bonus. Familiarity with options for design and implementation of battery management systems is helpful.
- Job role will include creation of operating manuals, service manuals, installation requirements, and other written documentation as may be required for FAA certification and customer satisfaction over entire product lifetime.
- An accredited bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or a closely related field
- Master’s degree in a technical field is preferred
- Five years of experience with power electronics
- Working knowledge of Matlab and Simulink
- The ability to work hands-on, with test and measurement instrumentation such as voltmeters, oscilloscopes, and bus readers
- The ability to work with ITAR information on cutting-edge projects
- A desire to enable the next generation of novel aircraft
- System level experience with electric motors and motor controllers
- Experience with digital data buses such as CAN and ARINC
- Programming experience in C++, Python, Java, and other object-oriented languages
- Experience with certification of aviation products; software and hardware
- Experience with DO-178 and/or DO-254 requirements
Apply now and be part of the team that’s powering the electric flight revolution!
VerdeGo Aero, Inc. is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.
WE ARE REDEFINING HYBRID ELECTRIC PROPULSION
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
- The option to participate in VerdeGo Aero’s stock options program
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
- Generous 401(k) plan that includes employer matching funds
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Student Loan Repayment Program
- Birth, adoption, parental leave benefits
- And more!
Nothing matters more to VerdeGo Aero than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
- Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.)
- Drug Screen only performed on re-hires who have been gone for more than 1 year
To conform with International Traffic in Arms Regulars (ITAR), you must be a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or actively working towards obtaining the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.